Content

The misadventures of Awkward Black girl...

Tuesday 24 May 2011
Although I'd absolutely love to copyright this title, I'm merely paying homage to (arguably) the best webisode series in the history of mankind and the brainchild of directer Issa Rae.



Ok, slight exaggeration.

But the sheer joy and giddyness I get when a new episode pops up on my youtube timeline? *squeals*.

You know the feeling you get when you stumble on something that's so unique? So fresh? So different? So real? You resonate with it? Heck. It's basically your memories unfolding on screen, as you indulge in an assortment of sugary snacks and sink deeper beneath your covers.

It's special because it's yours and you will not share it. You're scared if it blows up, hollywood will greedily snatch it away and transform it into a cheesy romcom.

I've seen it happen and I can't have that happen to this.

*Le sigh*

"The misadventures of Awkward Black Girl" follows J as she navigates through the sheer uncomfortablity of life situations. She's awkward dammit, and she fails when she tries to hide it!

We see J deal with her passive aggressive issues in the workplace.

We see J deal with the awkwardness of the hallway.

We see J find an awkward best friend

We see J deal with the attractive office [female dog] who not only beats her to a promotion, but will stop at nothing to ridicule her in front of the new office hottie

We see J deal with her overwhelming feelings to this new office hottie and with obvious hilarity ensuing, we have an endless cycle of awkwardness.

I love J because she represents, to a certain extent, who I was for a sizeable chunk of my early teen years (trickling into some early adulthood experiences).

And I'm sure many of us as can surely relate to a moment in time when we didn't know our worth. When we allowed insecurities to hinder us from living and achieving goals. When we allowed our voices to be silenced and our light to be clouded and hidden in the shadows....When we, without guidance, embarked on destructive paths.

I sit and watch this series and it reminds me how far I've come. I would still be J had my network abandoned me. Had I allowed my relationship with God to flounder when I hit a low point in me life (and I've hit many). Had I allowed my inner critic to rob me of my vision. I haven't got it all together, but unlike J, I now know my worth.

Issa Rae, I salute you for the hilarious and eye-opening series that is ABG. You've had me in stitches, you've had me contemplating and you've had me resonating. 

I'm finally ready to share you with the world. It would be only fair....

[Warning for our under 18 readers: Contains some expletives]

Make sure you guys check out Episode 1 and 4!

2 comments:

Issa Rae at: 24 May 2011 at 19:24 said...

WOW. thank you so SO much for writing this. This is my favorite thing I've EVER read about ABG and I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

I've had a rough couple of days and this makes it all worth it.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU for watching and spreading the word!

Much love to you,

Issa :-)

E.B. at: 25 May 2011 at 07:49 said...

First of, what an honour! What are the chances that you would stumble on this?! I'm going to keep this short and sweet, as I could ramble on and on how much I love ABG (I can't begin to tell you how many times I've watched each episode individually!). You've created something that many females will relate to, and I think it's time you get the credit you deserve. Keep doing what you do, my youtube experience depends on it! Can't wait for episode 5!
E.B. :-)

Post a Comment